PTE Academic reading multiple choice multiple answers exercise
This is a multiple-choice item type that assesses reading skills. It requires you to read, analyze, understand, and assess a short text on an academic subject and choose more than one correct response.
1. Most people don’t mind working out a bit but are discouraged by the thought of exercising hard. The idea of sweating buckets is so daunting that they avoid exercising. Fortunately, exercise is not a matter of all or nothing. There is some reward at every level of effort, provided it is regular. Spend at least 30 minutes a day in action like brisk walking to errands climbing stairs, carrying heavy shopping or children, doing outdoor gardening. Your rewards will not be immediate, but you can expect a reduced risk of problems like brittle bones, heart disease, and poor blood circulation. You work up a decent appetite and sleep well, but improvement in body-shape will be minimal.
Light regular exercise helps your heart. Such activity can include anything from brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, any light sport, or even disco dancing. The reward is immunity to colds and flu, less stress, slightly healthier levels of cholesterol and blood pressure. The figure trims down a little but only gradually.
Which of the following statements about light exercise can be supported from the text?
1. Even some routine activities can serve as light exercise.
2. If putting your body into complete shape is your aim, you might be in for some disappointment.
3. It is necessary to exercise different parts of the body daily.
4. Put in some aerobic activity for working up a sweat.
5. It builds resistance to chronic diseases and infections, and your heart performs strongly.
PTE Academic Multiple choice multiple answers
2. Communication is the sharing of information. It is the power to create in the minds of others, feelings or information that you want them to have. It is the need to communicate that has given rise to speech, language, alphabets, and writing. The same need led to the invention of paper, printing presses, typewriters, and finally computers and the internet. The power to communicate in-depth has allowed humans to dominate the earth. The fast development of the same power has allowed human technological evolution to overtake biological and social evolution.
There are three principal needs of communication. The need to communicate in the presence of the receiver gave rise to speech and language. The need to communicate in one’s absence gave rise to the alphabet, writing, paper, printing press, all kinds of recording devices, and finally the modern-day computer with its features. The need to communicate over a distance included everything that one needed to communicate in one’s absence but also gave rise to signals, telegraph, telephone, the postal system, and the internet.
Which of the following questions about communication can be answered from the text?
1. Why do we communicate?
2. How do we communicate?
3. What do we communicate?
4. Where do we communicate?
5. When do we communicate?
3. English is important not because a number of people know it, although it is a factor to be remembered. It is not important because it is the language of Milton and Shakespeare, although that also has to be considered. English is important because it is the major window on the modern world. And we dare not close that window. If we close it, we imperil our future. Be it industrialization, scientific development and technology, every door of modern knowledge will be closed if we do not have one or more foreign languages. We can have French, German or Russian, if you like, but obviously it is infinitely simpler for us to deal with a language which we know than to shift over to French, German, Russian or Spanish which will be a tremendous job. Every competent scientist today has to know two or three non-native languages. In the present age of industrialization, mechanization, scientific progress and research, we cannot progress without knowledge of English or, for that matter, French, German or Russian.
Which of the following statements can be derived from the text?
1. Since there are many in the country that can speak and understand English, the language is important for us.
2. The literary importance of English cannot be underestimated.
3. Language plays an important role in research and development.
4. English has today become the language of the world.
5. Knowledge of French, German or Russian is less important than knowledge of English.
4. Playing is as natural for children as breathing. They play because they are so full of animal spirits and so overcharged with a muscular energy that they must expend it by playing. Running, jumping and other physical activities build their muscles and tone their motor development. It is all-instinctive.
Playing is learning moreover, playing involves imagination, imitation and ‘make-believe’ and thus contributes to the development of the child’s mind also. In playing a child makes friends, develops the qualities of leadership and learns to function in a group. This develops his social responsibility. Moreover, playing is a rehearsal of those activities which will be useful to them in life. For example, when girls play with dolls they practice being mothers and when boys play policeman games, they prepare themselves for active outdoor life.
Playing is a therapy psychologist believes that playing also acts as a therapy for the child; it serves as an emotional vent. It gives him/her much-needed cathartic release. Children play to make up for defeats, sufferings and everyday frustration. He may have been scolded by a teacher or bullied by a classmate.
Playing is advisable is, therefore, necessary that parents should let the children play when it is time to play. Some parents force their children to study as it is thought to be far more useful for life than play. It is a mistake on their part to think play as a waste of time. Through the experience of play a child enriches his life and becomes not only physically strong but also emotionally.
Which of the following statements about playing can be supported from the text?
1. All children love to play.
2. Playing releases pent-up feelings.
3. Parents forbid their children from playing.
4. Playing enables children to pay back love and affection.
5. Playing is a preparation for the business of life.
PTE Academic Multiple choice multiple answers
Please comment for answers
MORE PRACTICE LINKS:
LIST OF REPEATED PTE ESSAY TOPICS
PTE Academic speaking describe image test tips
PTE LISTENING PRACTICE EXERCISES
Please click for more PTE Academic MCQ practice material