Describe image graph tips
1. This image graph item having second highest weight-age after re-tell lecture. So be focus on this, to achieve good scores in Speaking module.
2. There are 6 to 7 different types of things will get for this item type. Like describe bar-graph, line-graph, pie-chart, block-diagram, table, photo, picture, to name but a few.
3. You will get around 6 to 8 items. Including all different types of images as cited above.
If you ever get struck while explaining any such you don’t need panic as the situations can become worst after that you just need to speak whatsoever you are understanding in the graph.
The image graph which carries a lot of information in that, you need to explain the overview of it. There is no need to explain each and every detail mentioned in the image graph.You should focus on the striking features or the things which can be distinguished easily.
To make your command over the describe image section, in the initial practice stage, you should explain the graph as much as you can, no matter if it crosses the 40 sec.The maximum you will learn to explain any graph will help you to speak continuously for 40 sec in your final exam.After practicing for few days, you can reduce the timing to 40 sec.
- FOR INCREASE
- 1- climb (past: climbed) , 2- go up (past: went up) , 3- grow (past: grew)
- 4- increase (past: increased) 5- , jump (past: jumped) 6- rise (past: rose) 7- rocket (past: rocketed) , 8- upsurge ( past : up surged)
- 9- incline ( past : inclined) , 10- shoot up
Sentence examples using words that show an upward trend:
- The number of enrolments increased significantly between 2005 and 2010.
- Production rose from 800 units in May to 1000 units the following month.
Verbs to describe a downward trend
The following verbs can be used to describe a trend or pattern that goes down.
- 1- decline (past: declined) 2- decrease (past: decreased)
- 3- drop (past: dropped) 4- fall (past: fell)
- 5- go down (past: went down) 6- plummet (past: plummeted)
- 7- plunge (past: plunged) 8- dropped
Sentence examples using words that show a downward trend:
- Prices of Model X dropped significantly once Model Y became available on the market.
- Company profits decreased in 2013 by 15%.
Words and phrases used to describe a stable trend
To describe a more or less stable pattern, you can use the following expressions:
- 1- maintain (past: maintained) 2- remain (past: remained)
- 3- stay () 4- constant 5- stable
- 6- steady 7- unchanged
Adverbs used when describing trends
Adverbs describe HOW something happens. They usually come after a verb.
- sharply, rapidly, quickly, steeply
- considerably, significantly, substantially
- steadily, gradually, moderately
Nouns used when describing trends
- 1- decline
- 2- decrease
- 3- dip (a momentarily small drop in the level of something)
- 4- drop
- 5- fall
- 6- fluctuation (= an irregular rising and falling in number )
- 7- growth
- 8- increase
- 9- peak (= the highest point)
- 10- rise
- 11- slump (= a severe or prolonged fall
- 12- variation (= a change or difference in condition, amount, or level)