For students in a region impacted by IELTS or TOEFL test center closures due to COVID-19. Many Canadian colleges and universities are temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test as one of the ways to meet the English Entrance Requirements for International Students. Below is the list of colleges and universities accepting DET with minimum score requirements.
- Acsenda School of Management
Duolingo English Test (DET) 110-120
- Algoma University
Duolingo English Test (DET) – (temporarily accepted for 2020 September and 2021 January semester)
- Assiniboine Community College
ACC is accepting the Duolingo English Language Proficiency test. This is a temporary measure in response to the COVID-19 outbreak and may change. Score required 115
- Brandon University
Brandon University is temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test as one of the ways to meet our English Language Proficiency requirements. The minimum score required by Brandon University is 115
- Camosun College
Duolingo English Test (DET) score of 105 for General Admission to most Certificate and Diploma programs, and Bachelor of Business Administration programs (exceptions: Nursing and certain other Health-related programs). Score of 115 for admission to Post-Degree programs (all majors) and Degree programs offered by Centre for Sport and Exercise Education.
- Canadian Mennonite University
CMU will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test: A minimum score of 115 (online)
- Cape Breton University – Undergraduate, Post Baccalaureate, and MBA programs
Duolingo English Test score of 115 for undergraduate programs, diplomas, and certificates. A score of 120 for Master of Business Administration, Bachelor of Education and post-baccalaureate diplomas
- Capilano University
DET (Duolingo English Test) – Being accepted on a temporary basis until January 2021. Required minimum mark: 110
- Collège Universel
Duolingo English Test-Minimum of 100
- Concordia University – Montreal
No ESL courses required
ESL courses required with option for credit
Intensive English Language Program (IELP) option for Gina Cody School, JMSB and select Arts and Science programs
|DET score of 120 and above||DET score between 105 and 119||DET score between 90 and 104|
- Concordia University of Edmonton
Concordia University of Edmonton will accept a Duolingo score of 105 or higher as fulfilling the English Language requirement for admission to the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Management, Bachelor of Science, Open Studies, and Bachelor of Environmental Health (after-degree) programs.
- Confederation College
Confederation College accepts Duolingo scores at or above the following levels:
|Program of study||DUOLINGO score|
|Post-Graduate, Aviation, Some Health Programs||
- Coquitlam College
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the English Proficiency Test is currently unavailable. Coquitlam College is temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test.
|Duolingo Score||Placement Level|
|105 and above||ENGL 1XX|
- Crandall University
Duolingo English Test*: minimum score of 105
- Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Campus
DET – Duolingo Test of English = 100
- Fanshawe College
DET effective for the September 2020 intake and for the January 2021 intake, Fanshawe College will accept the Duolingo Language Test with scores
- George Brown College
|NEW Duolingo English Test||105||125||115|
- Georgian College
|DET*||Diploma/Certificate||BScN||Pharmacy Technician||Degree Studies||Addictions: Treatment and Prevention||Graduate Certificate|
|Duolingo Language Test (temporary option)||105-110||135-140||N/A||115-120||N/A||125-130|
- Grande Prairie Regional College
GPRC will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test as one of the ways to meet our English Language Proficiency
requirements. Duolingo English Tests taken after February 1, 2020, will be accepted for admission to the Fall
2020 and Winter 2021 semesters only. The Duolingo English Test will not be accepted for the Nursing program.
Minimum Duolingo English Test score required for most programs: 105 (Not accepted for Nursing)
- Grant MacEwan University
Duolingo English Test
A minimum overall band score of 115
- Great Plains College
Duolingo Online Language Assessment-Minimum score of 115
- Humber Institute of Technology and Applied Learning Toronto
- International College of Manitoba
|English language qualification||Direct entry (UTP Stage I or UTP Stage II)||Mixed entry (UTP Stage I or UTP Stage II)|
|Duolingo English Test||95||85|
- Justice Institute of British Columbia
For students in a region impacted by the closure of IELTS or TOEFL test centers due to COVID-19, JIBC will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test (Minimum score 110) as one of the ways to meet our English Entrance Requirements for International Students. Duolingo English Tests taken after February 1, 2020, will be accepted for the Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 intakes.
- Keyano College
Keyano College is accepting Duolingo English Test for fall 2020, winter 2021, and fall 2021, as many testing centers for IELTS and TOEFL are currently closed due to COVID-19.
- KPU – Kwantlen Polytechnic University – Admission
Duolingo English Test: Score of 110 or higher, taken within the last two years from the term of admission.
- Lakehead University
Lakehead University will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test from applicants who are from a region where IELTS and/or TOEFL test centers are closed due to COVID-19. Applicants must achieve a minimum score of at least 110 in order to meet the English language proficiency requirements for most of our undergraduate programs. Some programs, such as the Bachelor of Science in Nursing and the Two-Year Bachelor of Education, require a minimum score of at least 120.
- Lakeland College Undergraduate Admissions
Lakeland College’s acceptance will be a score of 100.
- Langara College
- Laurentian University – All Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
Laurentian will only accept this DET 9Minimum score 110) from applicants who are from a region where IELTS and/or TOEFL test centers are closed due to COVID-19.
- Lethbridge College
- Liaison College
- Loyalist College
|Duolingo English Test||95 – 100
105 – 110* (equivalent to IELTS 6.5)
115 – 120** (equivalent to IELTS 7.0)
*For the following programs: Early Childhood Education, Developmental Services Worker, Fitness and Health Promotion, Recreation & Leisure Services – Sports
**For the following programs: Care of Vulnerable Populations, Personal Support Worker
- M College
- Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology Admissions
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Mohawk College
- Montreal College of Information Technology
- Mount Allison University Undergraduate Admissions *
- New Brunswick Community College
- Niagara College Canada Undergraduate, Graduate, & ESL
- NorQuest College
- North Island College
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Okanagan College
- Olds College
- Ontario Tech University
- Pacific Link College
- Prairie College
- Queen’s University
- Quest University Canada
- Royal Roads University
- Ryerson University
- Saint Mary’s University (Canada)
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Selkirk College
- Seneca College
- Minimum score 0f 105
- St. Lawrence College
- Duolingo will be temporarily accepted. A minimum score of 105 required for entry to diploma and certificate programs; minimum score of 115 for entrance to degree programs; minimum score of 125 for entrance to graduate certificate programs.
- St. Stephen’s University – Undergraduate
- 105 on a Duolingo English Test
- St. Thomas University
- Duolingo English Test (DET) score 110
- Steinbach Bible College
- SBC requires a minimum Duolingo English Test score of 110.
- The King’s University
- Required scores:
Full admission: 110 or higher.
Required Academic English support in your first semester: 100-109
- Thompson Rivers University
- TRU is currently piloting the acceptance of Duolingo as proof of English Proficiency Requirements. This is applicable to applications received before December 31, 2020.
- Trent University
- DET score of 115
- University Canada West
Duolingo score of 120 minimum
- University College of the North
University College of the North will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test as one way of meeting English Language Proficiency requirements. Duolingo English Tests will be accepted if the results are received by the document deadlines for the Summer and Fall 2020 intakes for each respective program. The minimum Duolingo English Test score accepted by UCN will be 115 (does not apply to the Diploma in Practical Nursing Program and Bachelor of Nursing Program).
- University of Alberta
Minimum Duolingo English Test score required by University of Alberta:
115 for English Language Proficiency
125 for Spoken English Proficiency
- University of Guelph
- A minimum overall score of 110Please note that the University of Guelph will be accepting Duolingo English Test scores for Fall 2020 admission only and will re-evaluate the opportunity for future use
- University of Lethbridge
- The University of Lethbridge is also accepting Duolingo English Test as a way of meeting English Language Proficiency (ELP) for both undergraduate and graduate admissions. DuoLingo must be completed on or after July 15, 2019.
- Graduate ELP: a minimum overall score of 115 is required.
- Graduate SELP: a minimum overall score of 125 is required.
- University of Manitoba
- The University of Manitoba will temporarily accept the Duolingo English Test as one of the ways to meet the undergraduate English Language Proficiency requirements. Duolingo English Tests will be accepted if the results are received by the document deadlines for the Summer and Fall 2020 intakes for each respective program. The minimum Duolingo English Test score required by the University of Manitoba is 115 (125 for IDDP and Law).
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Saskatchewan
- The score of 110 or better
- University of the Fraser Valley
- Duolingo English Test (DET) score of 110 or higher.
- University of Windsor
- University of Winnipeg
- A minimum score of 120 on the current Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Vancouver Community College
- Minimum 110 score
- Vancouver Film School
Duolingo – score of 105 or higher
- Vancouver Island University
The Duolingo English Test (only For Fall 2020 and Spring 2021)- Score required 115
- Wilfrid Laurier University
Laurier will accept the Duolingo English Test for fall 2020 admissions only
- York University
- Yorkville University
- Yukon University
Yukon University will temporarily accept Duolingo English Test (Duolingo 105=IELTS 6.0, Duolingo 100= IELTS 5.0)