PTE writing summarize written text test tips and strategies
Summarize written text is a short-answer writing item type that integrates writing and reading skills. It requires you to understand, analyze and extract information from a reading passage and summarize the key points in one sentence.
PTE writing summarize written text test tips
Make sure your response is in the correct form
When you have written your response, check to make sure that it is only one sentence, with a capital letter at the beginning and only one full stop at the end.
Your response must be between 5 and 75 words so check the word count using the ‘Total Word Count’ counter below the response box. If you write fewer than five words or more than 75 words, your response will not be scored.
Practice using compound and complex sentences
Your response must be expressed within one sentence, so you will need to use a complex or compound sentence to be able to summarize the main point of the passage and also briefly mention the supporting detail. For example, look at the clause structures used in these summaries to link supporting ideas to the main point.
PTE summarize written text Strategies
- Remember to skim and scan. Quickly skim the text ﬁrst for the main idea, and then scan it for details and note keywords.
- Once you have noted the keywords, use them to write short notes to sum up the main argument of the text without looking back at the passage. Use your own words to make your notes into a clear, precise summarizing sentence.
- When you have ﬁnished writing, check for the following:
1) you have written one sentence only which is within the required word count between 5 and 75 words
2) you have kept the main meaning of the text
3) your grammar and spelling are correct. Remember that if your sentence is shorter or longer than the required word count, your response will automatically be scored zero.
MORE PRACTICE LINKS:
HOW TO WRITE GOOD SUMMARY/SUMMARIZE TIPS
LIST OF LATEST & REPEATED PTE EXAM ESSAY TOPICS
PTE SPEAKING DESCRIBE IMAGE TEST TIPS
PTE SPEAKING READ ALOUD TIPS AND STRATEGIES