Duolingo English test fill in the blanks read and complete section
Key Points: Read and Complete
- Between 3-7 times on the test (average 6)
- 3 minutes to complete
- Short passages (less than 100 words)
- Variety of topics (general and academic)
- The first letter(s) will always be shown
- Subscores: Literacy & Comprehension
Tips: Read & Complete
- Read through the whole passage once
- Read the first and last sentences carefully
- Use American spelling
- Use the context & grammatical knowledge
- Practice Everyday
Practice Questions-Type the missing letters to complete the text below
- An antibiotic is a chemical compound that kills bacteria or slows their growth. They a_ _ used as medi_ _ _ _ to treat and cu_ _ diseases caused by bact_ _ _ _.The fi_ _ _ antibiotic disco_ _ _ _ _ was Penicillin, a nat _ _ _ _ antibiotic prod_ _ _ _ by a fungus. Production o_ antibiotics first be_ _ _ in 1939, a_ _ in the mod_ _ _ day, they are ma_ _ by chem_ _ _ _ synthesis. Antibiotics can not be used to treat viruses.
Answer- are, medicine, cure, bacteria, first, discovered, natural, produced, of, began, and, modern, made, chemical
2. Johannes Gutenberg introduced the concept of movable type and the printing press to Europe.
While th_ _may not so_ _ _ like a big deal at f_ _ _, the printing press is of_ _ _ considered as the mo_ _ important inve_ _ _ _ _in mod_ _ _times. Think about how imp0_ _ _ _ _ information is to_ _ _. Without bo_ _ _ and comp_ _ _ _ _ you wouldn’t be able to le_ _ _ to pa_ _ on information or to sh_ _ _ scientific disco_ _ _ _ _ _. Prior to Gutenberg introducing the printing press, making a book was a laborious process in Europe.
3. Birds of prey have been treated very differently over the years. For exa_ _ _ _ during the Middle Ages, red kites were hig_ _ _valued. As scavengers, they hel_ _ _ to keep the str_ _ __ of London and ot_ _ _ towns cl_ _ _ of waste. However, atti_ _ _ _ _ towards red kites and ot_ _ _ birds of prey cha_ _ _ _in the 16th cen_ _ _ _,
when a se_ _ _ _ of laws encou_ _ _ _ _ people to ki_ _ them as vermin. It wasn’t until 1954 that new laws were passed to make it illegal to kill birds of prey.
4. Did you know owls are a symbol of learning? Libraries and books_ _ _ _ _ sometimes use pict_ _ _ _ of owls to repr_ _ _ _ _ reading or wis_ _ _. Maybe this is bec_ _ _ _ owls can see in the da_ _, dete_ _ _ _ _ things that oth_ _ _ can’t see. They are sil_ _ _, quick and ke_ _ to thems_ _ _ _ _. They some_ _ _ _ _have a watchful, thou_ _ _ _ _ look. Owls can’t really read, but they are smart.
5. Toy Story is a 1995 American animated movie. It w_ _ the first Pixar anim_ _ _ _ _ movie. Pixar ma_ _ the movie Whi_ _ _ Disney packaged it and so_ _ the reels of the mo _ _ _ to movie Thea_ _ _ _. It was rele_ _ _ _ on November 22, 1995. It was the fi_ _ _ animated mo_ _ _ to be compl_ _ _ _ _ done with comp_ _ _ _ _ instead of hand-drawn anima_ _ _ _ _. Toy story has three seq_ _ _ _, Toy Story 2 released in 1999, Toy Story 3 released in 2010 and “Toy Story 4” released in 2019.
6.`Steve Jobs was a silicon valley businessman most famous for his work with company Apple. Together wi_ _ Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Jobs he_ _ _ _ make the id_ _ of the pers_ _ _ _ computer pop_ _ _ _ in the la_ _ 1970’s. In the ea_ _ _ 1980s, St_ _ _ at Apple, Jobs was o_ _ of the fi_ _ _ to see the pote_ _ _ _ of using a mouse to con_ _ _ _ things on a computer scr_ _ _. Jobs is credited with revolutionizing personal computers.
7. London is the capital and largest city of England. London i_ the big_ _ _ city in western Europe,and world’s lar_ _ _ _ financial cen_ _ _. For a long ti_ _, London was an sm_ _ _ _city. All its people lived ins_ _ _ the walls that were built by the Romans. Thus ar_ _ is still cal_ _ _ the city of London. There were many vill_ _ _ _ around the city. Grad _ _ _ _ _, more pe_ _ _ _ came to li_ _ there. Then, step by step, the villages joined together into one huge city.
8. Most people in London are British. However, London al_ _ has many immig_ _ _ _ _. These people came fr_ _ many different cou_ _ _ _ _ _. They speak many different la_ _ _ _ _ _ _ and have different religions and cu _ _ _ _ _ _. There are also many people from dif_ _ _ _ _ _ countries who stay in London for bus_ _ _ _ _. Many people visit London as to _ _ _ _ _ . They may see the famous “sights of London” These sights include palaces, churches, and museums.
9. TikTok is an online video-sharing social networking service. It le_ _ people cre_ _ _ short vid_ _ _ and sh_ _ _ looping videos of 60-sec_ _ _ _.Users can po_ _ anything fr_ _ life hacks to dan_ _ _ or even recipes. It is pop _ _ _ _ in Canada, The United States, and other pa_ _ _ of the world. It was fi_ _ _ released un_ _ _ the name of musical.ly but was la_ _ _bought out and ren_ _ _ _ TikTok. It is one of the fastest-growing social media apps today.
10. Journalism refers to the production and distribution of reports on recent events. The wo_ _ journalism app_ _ _ _ to the occupation, using met_ _ _ of gathering inform_ _ _ _ _ and using literary techniques. Various fo_ _ _ of journalistic mediums inc_ _ _ _: print, television, ra_ _ _internet, and in the pa_ _: newsreels. Concepts of the appropriate ro_ _ for journalism va_ _ between coun_ _ _ _ _. In some nat_ _ _ _, the news media is controlled by the government intervention and is not fully independent.
Students can post their answers in the comment section. I will update answers soon.
Students can contact me for online training, Duolingo questions material. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for admission with this test. You can also call/WhatsApp me on +917508676970 for more information.
More DET Links: