PTE speaking tips for each exercise
PTE Speaking is divided into 5 sections.Oral fluency and pronunciation are the two enabling skills tested in PTE speaking.There are many mistakes student make especially in Re-tell lecture and describe image.I have tried to explain scoring and tricks for each of them. have compiled practice tips for PTE speaking.
Before the speaking section starts, there is a small task to complete. It is ‘Personal Introduction’ (Not scored). In this Item type, you have to speak about yourself and your response will be sent together with your Score report to the institutions selected by you. Time for response to record is 30 seconds.
Tips for Personal Introduction:
- Your interests
- Your plans for future study
- Why you want to study abroad
- Why you choose this test
- Why you need to learn English
There are different types of questions in PTE Speaking section; First item type is Read Aloud.
Tips for Read Aloud:
- Fluency is your first priority
- Scan for hard words and Spell it clearly before it starts recording.
- Rising and falling tone for some words is important.
- Be aware of Plurals, don’t spell wrongly.
- No long disconnection of sentences.(i.e. Gap to each sentence)
- Uneven words, Irregular Phrasing
- Beware of Inappropriate stress and incorrect pronunciation to some words.
- Before it starts recording, read once the total sentence.
- Don’t be too fast (in recording cannot understand) and too slow.
- Time for this section is more sufficient.
- Don’t keep silence more than 3sec.
- And last tip is your tone must be NATURAL.
Tips for Repeat Sentences:
- Close your eyes and listen to keep concentration on listening.
- No long pauses, Clear voice.
- Be careful of adding new text or omitting Listened text.
- If you can’t remember whole sentence at-least give importance to Keywords.
Tips for Describe Image:
- Use the words like To illustrate…, It depicts to show that…,
- Speak about Highest and Lowest figures or key points. ( Most Important)
- Fluency, Speak with a good voice.
- In describing image use the words – on the left-hand side, on the right-hand side, next to, above, below or bottom, at the top, foreground, background. Just keep on practicing with these words.
- For graphs, you can use – ‘X-axis on graphs shows…. range……’, and ‘Y-axis on graph shows…. range….’
- Use the words like over, about, under… to point out the values on the axis. If you use those words no need to be the exact value.
- Don’t keep silent, speak something about the image you see.
Tips for Retell Lecture:
- Note the keyword by understanding the context of the topic, so you can give your best.
- For the name, you can use titles. ex: Dr. James Alexandra says…. so you can say just ‘ dr says…’.
- If possible try to catch 3-5 sentences it’s enough to re-tell the lecture.
- While taking notes just omit vowel and note keywords it saves the time. (practice it)
- Use phrases like ‘The lecture provides brief information about….’ or ‘According to the speaker, he said…..’ etc… to elaborate the given lecture.
- Fluency is most important, whatever you speak also.
- Don’t keep silent, speak something relates to lecture.
Tips for Short Answer Questions:
- If you don’t know the answer, just repeat the words in the question.
- Don’t forget the articles a, an, the before some words.
Please like & share with other PTE aspirants